Discuss the following:
- How is the mockingbird a central symbol in the novel?
- How does this warning relate to the other events of the story?
With your group, discuss and record your knowledge of To Kill A Mockingbird's symbolism. The following questions may be used to guide your response.
- How does the exploration of the mockingbird shed light on other elements of the story? Explain.
- Use the chart to record your thoughts about what each of the character names symbolizes and tells the reader about the character.
- What does it mean to be an individual in society?
- Does Atticus' character align with the stereotypical view of masculinity? Explain your answer thoroughly.
Groups engage in discussion to extend and apply knowledge. Each group must examine all viewpoints, agree on a response, and justify their response using details from readings.